FAQs for Students

Check out the following FAQs for students. Can't find what you're looking for? Send your questions to SeawolfChat by clicking on the Talk to us! button (located on the bottom-right of this page) or reach out to your Faculty Advisor and/or Professional Academic Advisor. We'd love to hear from you!


What is Academic Probation?

How do I get off Academic Probation?

  • An undergraduate student will be removed from academic probation when the student’s cumulative grade point average at Sonoma State University AND in all college work attempted is 2.000 or higher
  • Video on Bouncing Back From Academic Probation.

Should I meet with an advisor while on Academic Probation?

  • Yes! While it is not required, partnering with a Professional Academic Advisor or Faculty Advisor is highly encouraged to talk about strategies to improve your GPA, course repeats, retroactive withdrawals, leave of absences, etc.


Where can I find resources for remote learning?

What are my options for tutoring?


When should I meet with an advisor?

  • It’s recommended that a student meet with their Professional Academic Advisor or Faculty Advisor at least once a semester to ensure they are on the right track to graduating. However, advisors are a great resource as needed for concerns about class selection, academic support, and navigating resources at the university.

How do I make an appointment with my advisor?

  • Your assigned advisor is listed both in LoboConnect and in your Student Center of MySSU. Most advisor appointments can be made through LoboConnect.
  • Video on Making an Appointment with LoboConnect.

What should I do to prepare for my appointment?

  • For general appointments, it’s helpful to bring a list of questions to maximize appointment time. If you are undeclared or undecided about your major, feel free to review the available majors at SSU so you can discuss next steps with your advisor.
  • For registration appointments, please review required courses for your major which can be found on your department’s website or the SSU Catalog, as well as your Academic Requirement Report (ARR) for remaining general education (GE) courses. It’s helpful to have a list of desired courses for the next term to discuss with your advisor.

How do I interpret my Academic Requirements Report (ARR)?

Are there other advising related videos I can check out?


How can I return to SSU after being disqualified?

  • Students must apply to the University Standards Committee for reinstatement after completing at least 12 units at an accredited institution or through SSU extended university, as well as meet GPA requirements.
  • Visit the Reinstatement from Disqualification website.


How do I apply for graduation?

When do I apply for graduation?

  • The deadline for Spring and Summer graduation is February 1. The preferred deadline for Fall is February 1, with a final deadline of September 15. Note, some majors set earlier deadlines to ensure timely review/processing. Ask your Faculty Advisor for more info.

How do I change my graduation term if I've already applied?

  • You can change your graduation term to a later term by submitting the Graduation Postponement Form. Note you can only change your graduation term to a future term.


Are there courses that don't require you to pay for a textbook?

  • Yes! We call these no-cost courses and they use materials (textbooks, lab manuals, software) that are free! You can find these courses by searching for “zero-cost course materials” in MySSU. Ask your advisor today if there are no-cost courses that may meet your needs. Need to find your advisor? Check out the Where to Seek Advising list. And if you’re looking for free textbooks or other educational materials, check out the California Open Online Library for Education (COOL4Ed).


How do I register for classes?

  • Incoming students register during Noma Nation Orientation, while continuing SSU students are given an appointment during Registration Week to select classes.
  • Prior to registration, it’s recommended that a student review their Academic Requirements Report (ARR) to see what required courses need to be completed. Typically, students will build a schedule in Seawolf Scheduler of 1-2 classes required for their major, in addition to 1-2 general education (GE) requirements. It’s also a good idea to have a back-up option or two if classes fill up when your registration appointment comes around. Aiming for an average of 15 units each semester ensures a student can graduate in four years.
  • Need a refresher? Check out this video on Registration 101 with MySSU.

When is the last date to drop a class or change the grade mode (graded vs. credit/no credit)?

  • Students can add or drop a class with no penalty the first 2 weeks of the semester.
  • Students can add a class with petition, or withdraw from a class with a W from weeks 2 through 4. The end of week 4 is also the deadline to change a class from letter grade to credit/no credit (C/NC).
  • After week 4, students can only withdraw with a W via petition for serious or compelling reasons. For more information, visit the Withdrawal Information website. The deadline for this process varies, so it is best to consult the Academic Calendar for the most complete and up to date information.